Monday 3 March 2008

February Roundup

Better late than never..... one day I will have time to do the summary of the month when the month ends.

IDE's Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 vs Eclipse
So I'm now well into .Net web services, although I have to say I do think Eclipse wins the best IDE competition. My distant past when using Visual Studio was my staple diet for cutting code must of blurred into happy memories.... reality has hit home - the autocompletion doesn't quite cut it when compared to Eclipse.

Other things that have come on the IDE scene is a new AJAX designer if there are anymore AJAX tools out there I can't see how people will decide where to look, why not try AltioLive it's not AJAX, it's not silverlight it's a full on Enterprise RIA, the IDE is written in Altio "so we live by what we preach" :-)

Visual Studio 2005 and Webservices
While I may not be impressed with the VS 2005 IDE I have to say getting a new web service up and running was impressive. I'm pushing the idea of Web Service Contract First (WSCF) and came across WSCF by Thinktecture. It does just what it says on the box, point at a XSD create the code and the WSDL. Although I didn't use the WSDL generator and depended upon the code generated by VS.

Enterprise RIA
Talking of Enterprise RIA Curl have a good article on the power of Applet based technology over AJAX and Macromedia Flash, just replace Curl with Altio and you get the same thing plus a lot more (IMHO our IDE and user interfaces are better - that's my view and not my employers, just in case there's legal issues here)


Google social graph
http://code.google.com/apis/socialgraph/
http://code.google.com/apis/socialgraph/terms.html
I'd like to see what AltioLive can achieve with the new graph control to display social networks.

Into March
March is ramping up to be manic..... the developers on Altio 5.2 are pushing hard to have a Beta release in March, it's that 95% complete syndrome.... the odd horrible bug that just doesn't want to go away.

Oh and by the way if anyone does read my rants come visit me at JavaOne in San Franciso this year.... a few of us from Altio have decided to setup a stall and shout about how great Altio is.

No comments: