Tuesday 18 March 2008

A new printer for home

I've just had a very interesting weekend purchasing printers.

My requirements were
  1. Cheap to run
  2. Capable of printing photos
  3. Worked remotely (bluetooth or WiFi)
  4. Would work with Apple Mac and Windows (XP and Vista)
I personally didn't think these requirements were too demanding.

My first mistake was to go out and buy something without researching (I was in a bit of a hurry, which is my excuse), normally I would research quite a bit before buying computer hardware.

I'd previously read several articles in photography magazines about all in one photo printers, and felt that was a good option as it would save desk space (scanner, printer, copier all rolled in one). So I bought a Kodak 5300 , my reasoning for this was that it was advertised as being 50% cheaper than all its competitors, great the kids can print and print without me breaking out in a cold sweat. I would need a bluetooth dongle to go wire free but I had one lying around somewhere so that shouldn't be a problem.

So I get home and begin the installation on my Apple Mac and the problems begin:
  1. Says compatible with OSX 10.4.8 and above - well I'm on 10.4.11 and the installation software flatly refused to accept that 10.4.11 is newer than 10.4.8. So off I go to the Kodak web site and download a newer installer, problem resolved. The software installs fine, and I can print using the USB port.
  2. Next problem, as with all new things I like to test them. So I try the scanner and it actually locks up my Apple Mac ( and I mean really locks it up, I had to turn the Mac off). Back to the Kodak site and download and install firmware. At this stage I'm wondering if I have made a mistake here.
  3. Third problem. I plug the bluetooth adapter in thinking surely no more problems. Oh how wrong I am. Nothing can see the printer, I even tried my mobile phone. So I go back to google to see what I can find out, and guess what the only bluetooth dongle supported is the Kodak one, which you can't buy from the shops and have to order (I wish it had been more specific on the box).
At this stage I gave up and go back the PCWorld to request an alternative printer, expecting to have a fight on my hands I make sure I have my list of reasons why they should exchange. I was gob smacked the tech support guy just turned around and said no problems the printer doesn't do what is says on the box so all I can do is recommend a HP printer, that will work. Wow and big thumbs up to PCWorld for a hassle free exchange.

So I get a recommendation of a HP C4380 and I start the process all over again.

Install the software on a Mac using the USB port, prints and scans fine.

Disconnect the USB port and connect the printer to the Wirless Router, and try to print from the Apple Mac that worked but also I can scan images remotely as well (bit daft because I have to walk from one room to another to do it, but it's still a neat trick to impress the kids). I'm well impressed so far, well done HP for a superb product. Not so well done Kodak, I think you need to sort out you design specs. I can live with slightly more expensive ink cartridges if everything else works.

By the way my next blog will be about getting a HP C4380 working with an Orange Livebox

No comments: